Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Summer Favs Serenade


Of all of the seasons summer is by far my favorite. Everything about summer becomes brighter, which is also true for summer nail polish trends. Neon shades are definitely the most popular this summer and for good reason! Neons are fun, eye catching, and the designs that can be created with them are totally cute. The problem, however, is that if you are not perfectly bronzed it can be difficult to find a neon shade to compliment your skin tone. Neon nail polishes have always been a struggle of mine for this very reason. The other reason neons are a struggle is because sometimes they are too overbearing for certain occasions.

So guess what! I have scavenged stores and my own personal polish collection for some summer shades that will work on most skin tones! I have also included some tones that I feel are close enough to the neon trend without overdoing it. Enjoy!

Brand: Bissu
Shade: N/A
 (unfortunately Bissu does not name their polishes or give them numbers)


Okay, now I don't know about all of you, but I have the hardest time finding a bubble gum pink polish that doesn't look absolutely absurd with my skin tone. For some reason, I have found it extremely difficult to find that perfect pink summer shade... until now! This is seriously the best pink polish out there. It is not too warm or cool toned so it will work on the tanned goddesses,  pale princesses, and everyone else between! It is also a muted neon so it's excellent for summer. 

Brand: Sally Hansen X-treme Wear
Shade: Mellow Yellow


With yellows I suffer the same problems as the bubble gum pink... usually yellow makes my nails look diseased. It's not often that a plain yellow looks great on nails, but this Sally Hansen yellow is the perfect summer yellow shade! I can wear it plain on my nails and it doesn't look like I have a nail condition... which a lot of yellows do. This yellow makes me feel so summery because it's bright and fun! Just like summer should be. 

Brand: Covergirl
Shade: #300


This blueish purplish polish is excellent for summer. It is not too out there and it will look excellent with many different outfits! It's definitely a universal summer shade. This color looks great on many different manicure types... short nails, long nails, almond nails... really whatever! It also lasts a long time without chipping or peeling off which is a must for summer polishes!

Brand: Orly
Shade: Passion Fruit
(Quick S/O to Lori for donating this polish to my collection... I absolutely love it!)


Although this polish appears to be a hot pink it applies almost orange looking! For this reason, it is a great summer neon shade because it is not overly pink. It's difficult to do, but there IS such a thing as too much pink guys. This polish is more muted, but is definitely still classifies as a neon! This makes me look super tan (which is totally a plus) and lasts almost forever without flaking in any way! It also looks like gel polish... super fancy!

Brand: OPI
Shade: Fly


This is actually an older polish from an OPI collection a few seasons back, but I am still obsessed with it! When it dries it becomes the perfect greenish blue shade and is flattering against tan or even pale skin. It stands out, but not too much and it would look good with either silver or gold rings! (Not many polishes can do that) This polish is definitely not muted, but it is also not a neon. This looks great in contrast to or to go with other polish colors. 

Brand: Covergirl
Shade: #240


This peachy tone looks great against tan skin. It is the perfect summer orange tone because it is not too... BAM. I love this brand of polish because it dries quickly so that last minute manicure before doing fun summer stuff is totally an option. It doesn't really need a top coat even because the formula dries very shiny. 


And there ya have it! My favorite polishes for summer. If I am ever in a hurry one of these 6 are what I will grab without even hesitating. 

If you like any of my posts and want to be updated whenever I post, then hit the "Follow" button on the right hand side of this page! 

Harli























1 comment: