Thursday, June 19, 2014

Put Old Gunky Polish to Use!


I don't know about anybody else, but I have a bin full of almost-gone nail polish that is tacky, sticky, and too thick to use. It really pains me to throw the nail polish away no matter how bad it gets because it's just so darn expensive... so I brainstormed a way to use up all of my ol' nail polish babies. Guess what! I came up with this super cute and ultra simple manicure to put all of that gunky polish to use! Oh and did I mention you don't need any nail art tools? No? Well it's true! Old nail polish is all that you will need. 
I honestly just walked out to the backyard on a hunt for some manicure inspiration and immediately after I looked at the marble-looking pavement in my parent's patio, I knew what to do with all of my old polish. So quick S/O to Mom for painting the patio floor brilliantly and inspiring this mani. 


Okay. The most time consuming step in creating this manicure is finding all of the nail polish that will be used. This step took me a good 15 because I have a lot of colors to sort through. I decided to go with neutral tones with some hinted pops of color.
I used a total of 12 colors to accomplish this look, but you can use anywhere from 3-15. Anymore than 15 and some colors won't show through. If you use any number on the lower end, then you will have to do a lot of layering to get the perfect marble look. 


Now into the actual manicure... 

THERE AREN'T REALLY ANY STEPS

Once you have the colors chosen that you will be using, open up the first color you wish to apply and wipe all excess polish off of the brush on the neck of the bottle. Once most of the nail polish has been removed from the brush, stroke it onto your nail. Very little color should be left behind on the nail. 

*Wiping excess polish off is the MOST IMPORTANT part of the entire manicure.


This is what the first coat should look similar to. If your polish leaves behind a little less it's okay I promise!

Now seriously, all you do the rest of the manicure is layer your colors on top of each other. With some colors apply only a stroke or two and with others layer entire sections of your nail.

Here's what it should look similar to after adding a second color.


And after about half of the colors are added.


Continue adding colors until you achieve your desired result! 

Here's what mine looked like when I finished before I added a topcoat. 


And after applying a top coat
I opted to paint my middle and ring fingers with glitter polish. 

     
 
    

Thanks for taking the time to check out my blog! 

Harli 

1 comment:

  1. Way to be efficient! And creative! And this is my favorite blog so far!

    ReplyDelete